February, 2012; Client: Diagnostic BioSystems; Art Director: Jan Moon
The client wanted to show a variety of bright, translucent “screens” floating above the histotechnician’s hand, as if they were her own visions, made possible by the client’s product. The image was going to cover most of another wall at the same trade show booth with the Pathologist image, and would additionally appear in the company’s printed literature and on their website, so I prepared the image for a scenario requiring the highest resolution.
Gallery window 1 shows the Histotech poster installed in the trade show booth.
(gallery window 2) An image was selected for the pathologist, from iStock.com.
(gallery window 3) First, I extracted the woman from her background. Then I extended the document’s canvas vertically to make room for the floating screens. Then I moved a resized copy of her fourth finger to replace her curved pinky finger.
(gallery window 4) Referring to a couple of other iStock images of the same woman, I was able to repaint parts of her shirt and sleeve in Photoshop that were missing after I had rotated her arm down about 30 degrees.
(gallery window 5) The slide was added in two layers with different blending modes: hard light, 100% opacity and normal, about 30% opacity. Since her hand appears to be slightly out of focus, I slightly blurred the mask around her hand so that the slide more naturally blended into her fingers.
(gallery window 6) Using the Pen tool I drew all the outlines of the floating screens, both front and back where needed. Making a selection from a single saved path (the outline of a screen) I switched over to Adobe Bridge, opened up a stain image in Photoshop, copied it, and pasted the copy into the selection in Photoshop. Then I resized and transformed the pasted image to fit into the selection, sometimes using the Warp tool. Each “screen” was comprised of 1-2 layers: a hard light blend at 100% opacity, and a normal layer at around 30% opacity. A tight drop shadow layer was added to each layer, and layer masks for each screen were adjusted so that the screens would appear to fade out in some parts.
(gallery window 7) A gradation was added to the background, in a tint of the company’s corporate color.
(gallery window 8) I made a copy of the woman, turned off the original layer, then darkened the copy using Levels. With the Brush tool in the Levels adjustment layer mask I painted back some of the details in the shadows in her hair, eyes, teeth, and corners of her mouth using a white ink brush at a low opacity.
(gallery window 9) Finally, on a separate layer, I aded some faint color reflections to her face and shirt. In her glasses, I outlined the lenses with the Pen tool, and created a selection from the paths. Then I made screen shots of two different areas of the screens, and pasted them into the selection. In the resulting layer, I reduced the opacity of the reflection in her glasses, resulting in the final image, below.
Gallery window 10 shows the finished image.