These are two photos I took in Montreal, Canada, in which I removed most of the transient objects (like people, animals, temporary signs, etc.) in Photoshop.
Exhibit #1: Notre Dame Basilica, before and after
Exhibit #2: Japanese Garden, Montreal, Canada, before and after
This is a series of women’s faces from stock images downloaded from the stock.xchng website. In Photoshop I generally removed blemishes and softened the skin on all the subjects, then reshaped and enhanced the faces to achieve what I believe to be more attractive results (Exhibits #1-5). Exhibit #5 is an age-reduction exercise, and Exhibit #6 is a hi-key adjustment only on a previously processed image.
Exhibit #5. Age reduction approx. -15 years
Exhibit #6. Hi-Key
Flow dynamics of normal vs. cancerous capillary. For University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Doctorate Student’s Thesis. The image below shows my preliminary pencil sketches that I presented to the client. The first sketch was a full-color sketch that pretty much depicted a representative style suggesting colors and textures that might be used, but significant changes were suggested, which led to the 2nd and 3rd black-and-white pencil sketches, from which the final rendition was produced.
This is a series of six illustrations I did for Mentor Corporation, for their SeedVue Instructions for Use document for physicians and nurses. The SeedVue Brachytherapy Seed Holder housed tiny radioactive pins that were implanted inside the patient’s prostate gland to destroy cancerous cells.
Circulatory System and Airways of Bronchial En-branch (Acinus)
Rendered in Adobe Photoshop. Self-promotional illustration.
This illustration was rendered entirely in Photoshop. A publishing company contacted me about leasing the image for use in their trade show booth. It was fortunate that I typically work on a large scale in my Photoshop illustrations, and I was able to provide them with a high resolution TIFF file at just the size they needed.
HER2 Protein Receptors in Cell Wall
Dako’s mission is to fight cancer, by providing high quality antibodies, instruments and software we are raising the global standards for fast and accurate diagnostic answers for cancer patients. I produced this illustration for Dako’s marketing department, and it was ultimately placed into one or more of their catalogs.
I started the illustration in Adobe Illustrator, just to get a row of polylipid balls to line up across the viewing plane, following the contour of the cell wall in a circular path. In retrospect, I think I could have made the cell even more circular, then applied some wave distortion to make the wall look more organic. Electron microscope images of cells I had seen showed that cells are typically less irregular shaped than I made them out to be, unless, of course, they’re misshaped by cancer.
I had wanted to make the receptor shapes look more symmetric, like flower petals, but the client insisted on their ultimate depiction, like deformed spoon shapes. So my goal was to make the scene visually imperfect and organic, more realistic, less generalized.
The DNA strand in the center was particularly challenging, and probably would have been more effective if I could have rendered it in 3D, but that is a skill I have, unfortunately, not developed in my illustration experience.