This is a series of six illustrations I did for Mentor Corporation, for their SeedVue Instructions for Use document for physicians and nurses. The SeedVue Brachytherapy Seed Holder housed tiny radioactive pins that were implanted inside the patient’s prostate gland to destroy cancerous cells.
A few years back I applied for a website design/development position at iFixit.com in San Luis Obispo. iFixit.com posts photographic tutorials on how to fix a large variety of electronic devices that are out of warranty, and allows users to add their own repair experiences to the website, like a wiki-type forum. It was decided that I didn’t have the necessary web experience, but the CEO was interested in some of my line art work I had posted on my website. We met for lunch, then I took a tour of their facilities.
I was then contracted to illustrate this exploded view of the iPhone 4. iFixit sent me an inoperative unit with a toolkit for dissecting it. Before opening the phone I had to decide how I would approach the project, knowing that if I fully disassembled the phone at the onset I would probably never be able to associate the relation of one part to the next. What I ended up doing was to carefully remove and illustrate one part at a time.
Ultimately, I had illustrated and labeled practically every mart part within the phone, which numbered around 25 parts, each part on its own layer in Illustrator. Using well organized, labeled layers was critical to this project. Each layer was duplicated and the objects on the duplicate layers were filled with a red color, then each layer was brought into Photoshop. Each Photoshop layer was finally exported to a .png file for input on iFixit’s website, focusing on the relevant part being replaced on the iPhone. See below for an image highlighting the main circuit board in red.
Here is the link to the illustration as it is currently being used on iFixit.com’s website.
Adobe Illustrator-rendered object, using gradient mesh and perspective tools.
My new little T-Mobile LG pay-as-you-go plan cell phone. Lost the Motorola V-330 on a bike trip, but it was too bulky anyway. This one is nice and slim.
This is an Adobe Illustrator CS5 rendering of a vintage whatchamacallit lying around the house. After illustrating the faces of each gauge, I used the gradient mesh and perspective tools for the final rendering.
Adobe Illustrator rendition of an early 20th century Chinese teak carving.
For this project I used the gradient mesh tool over a photograph of the carving. Layering was very important so as to be able to select specific parts of the illustrations separate from others, however, it got pretty messy to work with toward the end of the process. And for some reason some of the objects seemed to jump from one layer to another, which was probably my own fault, but it was still a mystery to me why it was happening.
The final top layer was a teak wood texture, blending mode set to multiply. Until I learned all the new features in Illustrator in the past couple of years, I would never have thought I could render an image like this outside of Photoshop.